Who is eligible for federal and institutional financial aid?

All students enrolled in a degree granting program at UTMB who are:

  • A U.S. Citizen
  • An Eligible Non-Citizen
    • U.S. Permanent Resident (I-551 Card Holder)
    • Conditional Permanent Resident (I-551C Card Holder)
    • Other Eligible Non citizen - Holder of an I-94 record from the Department of Homeland Security showing one of the following designations: Refugee; Asylum Granted; Parolee; or Cuban-Hatian Entrant.

Students must also demonstrate financial need, as determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), for most programs. Some loan and school-based scholarships are available to students regardless of demonstrated financial need.

Who is eligible for state financial aid?

Students shown above, plus undocumented residents who meet the eligibility criteria under House Bill 1403. Those criteria include:

  1. Having lived in Texas three or more consecutive years leading up to graduation from a Texas high school or receipt of a GED, and
  2. Having taken no college courses at a Texas college or university prior to fall 2001, and
  3. Having filed an affidavit with the college or university indicating the student will apply for permanent resident status as soon as he/she is able to do so.

In order for us to process your request for financial aid, please login to

Texas Application for Student Aid

College Board - calculate your EFC (expected family contribution) and financial need in order for us to estimate your financial aid. Once you have calculated your EFC, please print out the information.

Please return the TASFA application, ISG Verification form and tax return or parent statement if your parents did not file a tax return and EFC calculation to our office via mail, scan/email or fax.

Delinquency Statement

Students who are delinquent in their payment of any federal, state or institutional loan programs, or any interest payment thereof, will not be eligible to receive any financial aid from this institution. Written notice of resolution of the delinquency status must be presented to Enrollment Services.

Exemptions and Waivers

A number of exemptions of non-resident tuition and waivers of tuition and fees are available to students who enroll in Texas institutions of higher education. Please visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board website (http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/) for more information.



Old Red

We are proudly located in the historic Ashbel Smith Building, affectionately known as 'Old Red'.

Second Floor, Room 2.210

Mailing address:
Office of Enrollment Services
The University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, Texas 77555-1305

Ph: (409) 772-1215
Fax: (409) 772-4466

Need help? Contact us

Click this logo for help with mySTAR
mySTAR information

Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter